A stupendous array of health care expertise is gathered in Washington, D.C., supplemented by the health care policy advisors for U.S. Presidential candidates Sen. Barack Obama, Sen. Hillary Clinton and Sen. John McCain. It's the World Health Care Congress, and as you might expect, George C. Halvorson is there.
From the press release about this morning's panel:
-- Hear the Presidential candidates' platforms for health care reformHealth care reform, universal coverage, Medicare woes, and a solid analysis of the positions taken by our current crop of Presidential candidates should make for a fascinating (and hopefully productive) gathering.
-- Compare proposals to address universal coverage and the fiscal
stability of Medicare
-- Reactor panelists provide an in-depth critique by evaluating the
economic and social impact of Democratic and Republican proposals
-- U.S. Rep. Jim Cooper (D-TN), Health Care Policy Advisor to Sen. Barack
-- Chris Jennings, Health Care Policy Advisor to Sen. Hillary Clinton,
former Senior Health Care Advisor to President Clinton.
-- Thomas Miller, resident fellow, American Enterprise Institute for
Public Policy Research, Health Care Policy Advisor to Sen. John McCain
-- George Shutlz, former U.S. Secretary of State, Labor and Treasury, co-
author "Putting Our House In Order: A Guide to Social Security and
Health Care Reform"
-- George Halvorson, Chairman and CEO, Kaiser Foundation Health Plans and
The listing above covers on the first panel of the day for this event, in addition to those listed above there is an extensive roll call of movers and shakers in the Health Care scene in attendance who will be combining their expertise:
- Michael Leavitt, Secretary, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- James Hagedorn, CEO, Scotts Miracle-Gro Company
- Delos (Toby) Cosgrove, MD CEO, Cleveland Clinic
- Denis Cortese, CEO, Mayo Clinic
- Greg Tullman, CEO, Allscripts
- George Halvorson, Chairman and CEO, Kaiser Foundation Health Plans and Hospitals
- Mack Banner, CEO, Bumrungrad International (Thailand)
- Sam Nussbaum, Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, Wellpoint
- Thomas Miller, health care policy advisor to Sen. John McCain
- Prof. Hans Rosling, MD, PhD Professor of International Health, Karolinska Institutet (Sweden)
- Michael Howe, CEO, MinuteClinic
- Paul Speranza, Chairman, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Vice Chairman and General Counsel, Wegmans Food Markets
Today, I would like to close with a quote about the event:
"This is the largest gathering of health care providers, thinkers and experts anywhere in this world."Let us hope this massive array of talent and expertise can help us find our way down this complex and emotionally charged path to effective health care reform!
—Lee Scott, President & CEO, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
SOURCE: "5th Annual World Health Care Congress Kicks off April 21 With Obama, Clinton, McCain Health Care Policy Advisor Presidential Health Care Agenda Forum" 04/21/08
SOURCE: "5th Annual World Health Care Congress- Podcasts"
photo: Screencap of WHCC Website