On January 15-16 decision makers from nine U.S. health care systems met with analysts, technology experts and policy makers in Omaha, Nebraska for Alegent Health's "Power to the Patient," forum. This event is geared toward the development of policies and systems that provide tools and information to consumers in the interest of allowing them to make more informed decisions on health care issues.
The Alegent Health Online Press Room lists the confirmed participants as:
- Aurora Health Care, Milwaukee, WI
- Elliot Health System, Manchester, NH
- Martin Memorial Health Systems, Stuart, FL
- Mercy Medical Center, Cedar Rapids, IA
- North Shore LIJ Health System, New York, NY
- Provena Health System, Joliet, IL
- Sisters of Mercy Health System, St. Louis, MO
- St. John’s Health System, Springfield, IL
- Via Christi Health System, Wichita, KS
"Information technology is at the core of our ability to better serve consumers," noted Sensor. "Whether it’s providing patients accurate pricing and quality information through the Internet, or implementing greater use of it in our practice settings, our experiences in putting information technology to work for the benefit of consumers is something we are eager to share openly. That is what the 'Power to the Patient' forum is about -- helping other health care providers to learn from our mistakes and benefit from our experiences."The website for "Power to the Patient" lists the objectives of the forum as follows:
Alegent is a faith-based health care system with nine hospitals in Nebraska and Iowa. MEDSEEK is an Enterprise eHealth solutions provider focused on connecting information and people in order to provide better care and promote community advocacy.
- To foster acceptance of transparency among health care providers, resulting in an environment that empowers consumers to make quality health care decisions by the use of meaningful tools and information.
- To help providers begin or progress along their journey to cost and quality transparency by sharing experiences about innovative new access points and the implementation of consumer-driven health plans within the workforce.
- To create an environment where the lessons and ideas of providers in this arena can be shared and discussed.
SOURCE: "Press Release: National Policy Makers and Health Care Executives Come Together to Discuss the Future of Health Care" 01/15/08
SOURCE: "Alegent: Power to the Patient"
SOURCE: "Press Release: Alegent Health Establishes "Power to the Patient" Forum to Focus on Increasing Consumers’ Engagement in Health Care"
photo courtesy of neovain, used under this Creative Commons license